The Brecon Mountain Railway, “Rheilffordd Mynydd Brycheiniog”, is located on the edge of The Brecon Beacons National Park in South-East Wales, three miles north of Merthyr Tydfil. It runs five miles along mountain, lake and forest scenery, including the whole of the Pontsticill Reservoir, before ending its journey at Torpantau.
The railway allows access to remote areas of The Brecon Beacons National Park without the need for a car. The only car parking along the route is available at Pant Station, outside the National Park boundary.
It is based on a one foot, eleven and three-quarter (603 mm) gauge track which was laid on the abandoned Brecon & Merthyr Railway which ran from 1859 to 1964. The BMR was formed in 1972 with the first track starting to be laid from Pant to Pontsticill in 1979 and was opened to passengers in 1980 with just one carriage and one loco “Sybil”. The line was extended a further one and a half miles to DolyGaer in 1995 and to Torpantau in 2014.
The BMR currently have around eleven locos (in various stages of construction and repair) with four currently operational.