Dduallt Station on The Ffestiniog Railway

Dduallt Station on The Ffestiniog Railway

The Ffestiniog Railway - Dduallt Station

Dduallt (meaning “Black Wooded Slope”) is the most remote station on the Ffestiniog Railway as it can only be reached by public footpaths, having no road access. It was first mentioned as a passenger station in 1880. It closed in September 1939 and reopened to passenger trains in April 1968.

Campbell’s Platform near Dduallt was built in 1965 to serve the 15th century Manor House “Plas Dduallt” where Oliver Cromwell is said to have stayed during his campaign against the Royalists.

Colonel Andrew Campbell bought the house in 1962 and completely restored it and also built road access. He kept his own locomotive in a siding at the halt which he ran to-and-from Tan-y-Bwlch. As a licensed explosives handler he also did the rock blasting needed to build the spiral. Campbell’s Platform is a private halt which is ONLY available for use by residents and visitors staying at Plas Dduallt.

Between the Platform and Tan-y-Bwlch (and over half a mile from the nearest road) is “Coed-y-Bleiddiau”, a private cottage built around 1860 for the Ffestiniog Railway’s ‘Inspector of the Line’. It was used as a holiday home in the 1930s, one of whom was Kim Philby, the Russian spy.

The house was on the UK TV programme “Most Haunted” in 2008.
The Royal Sportsman is a family-run, two AA rosette-winning home-from-home and the only hotel in Porthmadog. It offers modern cuisine and a bar with locally brewed cask ales. The full-service Hotel is located at the quieter end of Porthmadog High Street.
Aberdunant Hall Country Hotel is a 17th-century property set within 200 acres of woodland on an idyllic upmarket static caravan park. With free onsite parking, it retains many original features, such as beamed ceilings, fireplaces and stained glass. Guests can relax in the garden or on the terrace.
Set in a 17th-century building, Bwlch Y Fedwen B&B is located two miles from Porthmadog in the small village of Penmorfa. If offers a sun terrace and free parking.
Built by a visionary architect in 1925, The Portmeirion Hotel & Castell Deudraeth overlooks the beautiful Dywryd Estuary. Located on a private peninsula, the hotel offers a spa and wellness centre, an on-site mini market, a bar and a restaurant.

Rails.Wales

Copyright © 2017 Ian King - MSS Studios - Designed by Website.Wales.