The Ffestiniog Railway in North Wales was originally constructed to convey slate from the quarries in Blaenau Ffestiniog to Porthmadog. The line was built on a steep incline to facilitate the use of gravity trains. In 1863, the increase in traffic forced the owner to consider different forms of motive power. After many trials and much development work, a special design of locomotive incorporating power bogies took to the narrow gauge rails. During the Spring of 1988, the railway celebrated 125 years of steam power with a gala weekend spanning 3 glorious days which saw the return to service of the newly restored Fairlie double engine Merddin Emrys, vintage trains hauled by Prince, visiting W.H.R. Locomotive Russell, and much more besides. Our cameras were there to record the event in full, and this film, produced in conjunction with, and the full cooperation of the Ffestiniog Railway Society includes exclusive footage shot on the double headed run up the line with Blanche and Mountaineer.