Ffestiniog Railway – Tanygrisiau
Tanygrisiau is a stop on the Ffestiniog Railway. It is situated on the southern side of the Moelwyn mountain range, which shelters the village from northerly winds.
The name means: Tan = Beneath / Y = The / Grisiau – Steps (Referring to the stepped hills above the village).
Construction of the Ffestiniog Power Station at Tanygrisiau started in 1957 and was completed in 1963.
Water is pumped from the lower reservoir, “Llyn Ystradau” (Tanygrisiau Reservoir) to the upper reservoir “Llyn Stwlan” at times of low demand (usually at night) and the water is then released through pipes to power its four generators. The resulting electricity is then provided to the National Grid at times of high demand.
Stwlan Dam was built to hold the water in the upper reservoir, increasing the size of the lake that was already there.
Ffestiniog Power Station is currently owned by First Hydro.
The Map Showing Porthmadog (Bottom Left) and Blaenau Ffestiniog (Top Right) and the Route of the Ffestiniog Railway.