Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway
The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway was opened in 1903 to link farming communities as far away as Llanfair Caereinion with the market town of Welshpool where their goods could be sold.
The railway is a two-foot six-inch gauge and has been owned by various companies over the years, first by Cambrian Railways, then The Great Western and British Railways. The railway ceased to carry passengers in 1931, only carrying freight until its closure in 1956. In 1963 a group of railway enthusiasts took over, gradually rebuilding and restoring the line and locos.
During the sixteen-mile, ninety-minute return journey the line twists along a river valley, travels through the trees beside The Black Pool Reservoir, crosses the Brynelin Viaduct, crosses a river and the steep Golfa Bank. It also travels through the Powis Estate with its deer park (a trip to Powis Castle is also a great idea while you are here).
Map showing Welshpool (Right) and Llanfair Caereinion (Left) and the Route of The Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway.